Tuesday 9 May 2017

Evaluation Q7: Looking back to your preliminary task, what do you feel that you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Looking back to my preliminary task, which was also used to demonstrate the different filming methods such as the 180 degree rule and well as match on action, there are several noticeable differences in the way in which it was filmed compared to my final sequence. These differences are due to the several aspects of film making that I had learnt over the progression of the process. Obviously there are key differences in the preliminary task and my opening sequence. This is because the effect each of them are meant have are completely different. However, looking at the way in which the footage had been manipulated in the hopes of having the desired effect on the viewer there are clear differences which are as a result of learning techniques throughout the process. These include the use of diegetic sound in the scene as well as using changing the colour and lighting in shots to manipulate the atmosphere of the sequence.

Firstly, I have found methods in which I can improve how realistic a soundscape may be through using a video editing software. During the editing process I soon found that a more textured and layered soundscape would allow for it to become more convincing as ambient sounds don't pause to allow us to hear a door slam or footsteps going by. I had used what I'd learnt of sound recordings in the editing software for my opening sequence. For example, in my own opening sequence the sound of the gas hob is consistent throughout and the sounds at the beginning of the sequence such as the door slam has two recordings of different doors which allows for a clear progression where the door makes a noise upon opening and closing while the door hinges creak. They have been timed precisely to the point where they should sound like a singular door. I have found that the use of both layered ambient sounds has created a more realistic environment as opposed to having each sound play individually.

I also learnt that by using manipulating the colour and brightness in the sequence I could elicit the intended feel that the sequence is meant to give off more easily. In comparing the two it is noticeable that the colours in the preliminary task are clear whereas my final opening sequence appears to be less saturated and more gloomy, this is because over the course of the process of making the sequence I had learnt of the effects that it could have on the tone of the scene and thus utilised this form of creating an atmosphere through the use of darkened cold coloured visuals.

A second aspect from the progression is that I'd learnt that lighting is heavily important for each shot. The level of importance lighting has in the shot is near equal to the importance of composition. Unfortunately I had learnt this mostly at the point of post-production where mistakes could not be completely corrected. An example of the offending shot in my opening sequence is where the laptop is shown in the middle of the shot having been positioned on the bed. Without being attentive the lighting in the shot during the filming process the shot appeared to be more of a silhouette which was not desired. However, the mistake could not be corrected in the editing process as changing the colouring of the shot only emphasised the contrast of light within it. As a result I have learnt to pay more attention to the levels of light within a shot and to experiment with different camera angles if the planned shot does not look effective.


No comments:

Post a Comment